Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Unwind at Kelsey See Canyon Vineyards

Like many, my brother and I visited our parents over the Easter weekend. Have I mentioned that I grew up in the central coast? I moved from one wine country to another (San Joaquin Valley). When we visit our hometown, I nag at my brother early Saturday morning so we have time to stop at a winery in the Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo or Santa Maria area. Someday I'd like to visit them all.

During this visit to the central coast, we stopped at a winery on our way back to the valley. I quickly researched beforehand to figure out which were open on Easter. After reading reviews and their hours, I decided on Kelsey See Canyon Vineyards. The apple wines caught my attention.


This is a family owned vineyard, which started as a retirement project for Dick and Dolores Kelsey. It has now become a full time business for the family. Their children and grandchildren are involved from growing the grapes to managing the winery.

The winery is located near Avila Beach towards the hills. We followed the signs and a road with many turns to arrive at our destination.


Somehow during reading the reviews, I missed that they have peacocks on their property! They have about 100 peacocks on the property and have been at this location for about 30 years. They seemed not to be afraid of people and got very close. Maybe they wanted me to feed them. The winery has peacock food pouches you may purchase for $2 to feed the peacocks.

They were modeling for the camera!


Enough about the beautiful peacocks and back to the wine...

We had the tasting of six wines of our choice from the wine list. I'll tell you about the apple wines. The apples in the wine are local from See Canyon. The wines are apple cider blended with a wine variety. The apple cider is subtle so it's not your apple cider you'd drink at Thanksgiving as a child. Avila Springs is just down the road; these would be perfect to drink while relaxing in the springs.



The "Red Delicious" is labeled as the Hot Tub Wine. I thought it was for the springs near by. Then I read the back of the label...


Awesome!

Wine Description from the Wine List...
2010 "Red Delicious" A nice relaxing blend of See Canyon Cider and Zinfandel that goes just as well on a warm summer night in the hot tub as it does with a happy BBQ with the family.

2010 "Golden Delicious" A unique fruit wine featuring a 50/50 blend of See Canyon Apples and Chardonnay grapes, this is a great wine equally for a hot summer day, or a nice spicy dish.


Make sure to check them out if you are looking for a place to relax, sip some wine, and enjoy the central coast weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment